NILS KÄHLER (1906-1979)
Nils Kähler is one of the sons of Herman H.C. Kähler best known for taking the lead in exporting for the ceramic firm Herman A. Kahler Keramik, started by his great grandfather in 1839. With new designs and new distribution models, Nils expanded Kähler's influence and popularity worldwide.
In 1940, Nils Kähler and his brother Herman Jørgen Kähler took over the family workshop. This would be the last generation of the Kähler family to run the company. Both brothers initially worked as designers, but Nils soon took over the artistic direction, while brother Herman was primarily responsible for the administrative and practical functions. Nils was also known as "the young Kähler". The brothers had been a regular presence in the workshop since they were young boys, and that is where they received most of their training.
In 1931, Nils replaced the workshop's former pot thrower as the new apprentice. He then developed a passion for throwing large vases. For the fun of it, Nils began modeling piggy banks and other animals. These animals became some of the most popular products in the history of Kähler. These animals allowed Nils to indulge his preference for ceramics decoration with slipped horn painting and lead glazes.
Nils Kähler had a special talent for following the design trends of the time, which is evident from his production. Even though he was very enthusiastic about complex traditional pottery, the new production was characterized by much simpler designs. He made designer objects such as ashtrays, vases, jugs and lamp bases for Le Klint lamps. Made of stoneware, these bases were fired in his preferred salt glaze or with the strong turquoise or warm golden colors combined with raw or embossed patterned surfaces.
The family-run company ended with the fourth generation of the Kähler family in 1974.